The State of Black Georgia
“The State of Black Georgia is an educational tool and call to action for Black Georgians, public and private sector stakeholders and the general public that can inform civic engagement, non-profit organizations, elected officials, businesses, policy makers, grass roots organizations, philanthropists, faith-based organizations, researchers, advocates, and other key stakeholders. Together, we can promote inclusive economic development, influential partnerships, and implementation of best practice models that foster overall improvement in conditions for Georgia’s Black residents and the state as a whole.”
From the report:
- The median wealth of Blacks will fall to zero by 2053 if no action is taken.
- The percentage of Georgia Black students failing to read at third-grade level was 36%, a 25%
- increase over the pandemic.
- Approximately 50% of the inmates admitted in the Georgia Department of Corrections in 2021
- were Black, yet Black Georgians make up 32% of the State’s population.
- Fifty-four percent of infant deaths were Black children.